Sunday, November 4, 2007

Random Saturday Musings

There's a quest in Shadowmoon Valley to kill Ravenous Flayer Eggs. The troll animation for attacking it is "Slap! Backhand! Slap! Slap!" The slaps look like not-so-friendly thwacks on the bum. I always knew there was something... alternative with them trolls

Turns out, I really, really miss playing as a Fire mage. I haven't two-shotted an equal level mob in so long... I forgot what it was like. I really, really missed the damage I can do, and I really, really miss those fantastic crits. Oh, fire spec, I have transgressed against thee, can thou find it in your Burning Soul to forgive this lost sheep? Welcome me back into your glorious embrace, of fire god of the uber pwnage. Cleanse me of the curse that is frost spec, and enlighten me in your ways of burning everything flammable.

Just like frost mages, fire mages can also solo group quests. Its easy, really. Kill the mob as fast as you can, and hope you're alive to loot it. Damned if I care if I'm alive, so long as I get my loot!

10/48/3 spec + Essence Infused Mushroom + Full Imbued Netherweave set = I never run out of mana. Seriously. Never. When grinding as frost, I would stop every now and then and drink. As fire, I only ever stop to eat. Because... I take damage as fire. I take quite a bit of it. Things hurt me. They really do.
On that note, I miss Ice Barrier. /sniff

I hit 666 gold today. I celebrated my triumph by running around shooting stuff with fire spells. Wait a minute... I've been doing that all day.

Does anyone else have a feeling that spirit is a dying stat for mages? Seriously, think about it. Evocation used to run off of spirit, now it restores a base percent of mana.
The arcane talent Arcane Meditation is recieving a buff, increasing the mana regen a very hefty amount. What does this mean to the average mage? I'm glad you asked.
As of right now, spirit is generally a very poor stat, unless you are specced arcane and have the handy little Meditation talent. For the rest of us frosters and flamers, spirit is a stat that only effected Evocation. Which is why so many mages carried around spirit sticks/wands for use during Evocate only (Now with evocate effecting mana, we're going to carry Intellect sticks/wands instead). So, with the change to Evocate, spirit is a completely and utterly useless stat for everyone except arcane mages.
This means that you, loyal fire mage raider, have pointless stats on your Tier 4, your Tier 5, and yes, your Tier 6 gear. Didja hear me? That spirit is weighing you down, and forcing you to be worse than you could be by the simple fact that Blizzard didn't give you good gear.

HOWEVER.

If anyone has bothered to check out the new loot in Zul'Aman, you might notice something... something a little strange.
Check out the cloth drops from Zul'Aman. Look at them. Revel in them. Envy people who have them.
Then look closer... go on look. Go find the gear. LOOK at it!

Then let me ask you something... do you see any spirit? I bet you don't, do you?

Thats right mages! Zul'Aman gear is totally and utterly devoid of spirit!

So what does this mean?

Mark my words. Spirit mechanics and the whole idea of Spirit is going to go through some very major changes in the coming patches.

Something is cooking, only time will tell what.


VOLUME III OF MAGECRAFT GOING UP TOMORROW

4 comments:

Athryn said...

Another thing to make note of is that spirit is being worked out of all the revamped lowbie dungeon loot in 2.3 also.

I think generally speaking, the "conventional" wisdom is that spirit is really only good for holy priests and resto druids, and Blizzard is finally making that the case.

Euripedes said...

Thanks, athryn. Woulda mentioned that if I remembered...

Well, not all. Odo's Ley staff is (I think?) still going to have spirit on it.

So this bears the true question, what is going to happen to all the spirit on mage's tier gear?
Kaput? Put into intellect?
Transformed into mp5?
Or are they going to be jerks and leave it there for the arcane mages?

Anonymous said...

Leave it there for the arcane mages.

<3

Euripedes said...

/cry