Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Inconvenience

Today I would like to gripe and complain about the annoying things of the Mage class.
This is not a discussion of any serious troubles, gamebreaking mechanics, whatever. Just some very annoying things.
You'll notice that a fair amount of this gripes are getting fixed in 2.3. Hellz yes! Not every patch is bad.
Goodbye minor annoyances and inconveniences, hello game-breaking mechanics!

MANA GEMS
What the crap is up with mana gems anyways? This seems to me a brilliant idea that was very poorly executed. The highest rank of mana gems Mages can get costs 1670 mana, and restores anywhere from 1136 to 1364 mana. If anyone cares, this means the max rank of Mana gem has a chance of restoring LESS mana than the next rank down (which restores 1000 to 1200). It just annoys me that I could use the down-ranked version and get more mana back.
And besides, a Super Mana Potion can restore more than double what a mana gem does (1800-3000 for the potion). And another thing. A warlocks healthstone restores far more hp than our mana stone. Sure, you can argue that a healthstone costs reagents, which it does, if you're not making it in the arena, or any battleground come Patch 2.3 (which has been officially announced, btw).
Result: Annoying! Useful, but annoying.

EVOCATION
At 60, and any level below that, Evocation would restore the entire mana bar in 8 seconds. Now, at 70, it almost restores 30% of my mana bar. Mages have so little spirit most of the time (the whole useless stat thing), and so evocate does so little. Of course, this gets a little fix in patch 2.3, to 60% of our mana bar. Very nice buff for most of us high level mages (heavy spirit mages (lol) in mage tier gear might see it as a nerf), generally a huge nerf for all the low level mages. My gripe is simple. You'd think that, for an 8 minute cooldown, it would do a little more. I still like it, mind you, I just don't like how it used to be so awesome, and got progressively worse every level I gained.
Result: Very annoying! Getting far less annoying in the next patch.

VENDOR
No, this is not going to be a gripe about people "always" pestering mages for food/water/ports, whatever. This is about the current mechanics that food/water brings to raids. Frankly, standing around summoning food/water for 5-10 minutes before a raid was incredibly annoying. I'd do it, sure, 'cause raids are awesome. But it was still annoying.
Anyways, thanks to Blizzard, this inconvenience gets the boot
Result: Used to be a serious peeve. Patch 2.3 gets this fixed. Win.

ARCANE INTELLECT/BRILLIANCE
My only annoyance here was the very high cost of these spells. They cost a fortune to do, and a mage can easily blow through his entire mana pool buffing two parties. Again, this gets fixed. Woot!
Result: Annoying enough that I would never bother to buff anyone besides myself with this, except in Instances/raids. No reciprocal buffs for you, So-and-so from Black Dragonflight! Reduced mana costs = win.

WANDS AND THE GCD
A warrior's white damage attack doesn't trigger the GCD. Neither does a Rogue's. Or a hunter's. In fact, every basic attack function except wands is exempt from the GCD. So why doe mages, warlocks, and priests get the stupid end of the stick, and be forced to endure a silly GCD for using a wand? There's probably no good reason to have wands on a GCD, and no reason to not have them on a GCD. It's just annoying.
Result: Yup. It's annoying.

USELESS TALENTS
Ok, this is a complaint that every class has, but seriously. Why have talents that you'd have to be brain-dead to take? I mean, c'mon! Why would you put talents like Improved Fire Ward and Frozen Core here? Nobody is ever going to take them. They just clutter up our trees with empty boxes. I guess you could use them as a way to laugh at people who take them?
Result: Annoying. Really.

SPIRIT
Spirit on Mage's tier gear just friggin' pisses me off. Worst itemization ever. If you're fire, it's pointless. If you're frost, it's pointless. If you're arcane, you have one talent that takes advantage of it, and I'll bet you secretly wish that spirit was more spell damage. Don't you?
Result: Annoying and sad at the same time, since you have to have it to get the good mage gear.

HEALING PATTERNS
There are nine classes in the game. Every one of them can either heal themselves, or reduce the amount of healing done to their target. Except Mages and, until recently, hunters. Admittedly, rogues and warriors have to have a specific debuff to do it, but thats still a step ahead of mages. If you haven't heard, Hunters are getting a "Mortal Strike" as well. Last I heard, it was the same effect being applied onto an Aimed Shot. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong? I have severe allergic reactions whenever I try and read any Hunter related information.
But seriously, why are mages singled out here? And don't tell me "CS nub". Warriors can interrupt heal spells, so can everyone else, and most of them do it better than mages. Kick anyone? Ever heard of Earthshock? It's not game breaking, I mean, I can see the argument that all classes were not made equal or whatever, we all have different strengths and weakness and whatnot. But its... annoying to be the only class that just can't. It makes it impossible to kill a druid that can figure out how to cast lifebloom and rejuvination on himself.
Result: A pet peeve.

INVISIBILITY
Another really clever idea gone the way of being totally and utterly useless. This spell just plain sucks. It costs a lot, has no inherent use, and you can't do anything, or have anything done to you.
Result: It sucks. Fix it or remove it. Please. Pretty please.

CO-EFFICIENT TAX
10% off our base spells if we pick up a talent? Why, yes! I would like to spend 5 talent points to DECREASE the amount of damage I do! -2% damage per rank sounds pretty good!
Result: Sheer stupidity, and getting eradicated from the WoW code, as it rightfully should.

ALTS
Due to the ability of mages to port themselves pretty much wherever they need to go, and the whole free food/water thing, it occasionally makes playing an alt impossible. I take these things for granted, having had them since Day One.
Result: I have been spoiled by arcane magic.

GNASHING OF TEETH
All the fucking whinos on the WoW forums. You people suck.
Result: /ignore ftw!

TIME ZONE
The fact that when I post on Tuesday, the post will go through on Wednesday, due to time zone differences. So it will look like I neglected my blog for one day. BLUZZARD! FICX THIS!!!!11
Result: !!!!111shift

PALADIN TANKS
I have the somewhat creepy desire to play a Paladin tank. I don't know why. I really don't. But it's there, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Like a second head, it's always there... breathing softly in the background, just out of my eyesight.
Result: YOU'RE ALWAYS HUNGRY! THAT'S WHY WE'RE SO FAT!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your comments on invis:
invis is an insanely useful spell in large encounters. Considering that if you're doing your job right and staying away from the aoes (not an attack on you, i get invis interrupted all the time too lol) you should not take damage. Thus, invis' fade effect is incredibly useful. Sure, it doesnt take you out of combat in most boss encounters, but happily, it can wipe ALL of your aggro. This is a totally essential spell when a PomPyro crits at a bad time, and is always on cooldown for me.

just my two cents

Anonymous said...

I must also defend invisibility. It is a quirky little fun spell that allowed me (a druid) and Brains (a mage) to 'stealth' around LBRS at 70 while two-manning the thing. Blink + invisibility = fun times.

Anonymous said...

Mana gems: Great for levelling, and are you seriously complaining about a second mana pot on a different cooldown? Also, if you downrank a gem, congrats, you fail. The odds of getting more from the second to last gem over the last is only 32%...statistically, you lose mana. And WoW is a game of statistics.

Evocation: Maybe a channeled full mana bar was too powerful so the scaling was an intentional stealth nerf? It sounds plausible to me, but for a mage, yes, still annoying.

Vendor: STFU and make me some water. /flirt <3

AI: No comment, agree with you entirely.

Wands: Hey, guess what? Mages DO have an attack that's off the GCD. It's called 'attack'--look for it in your spell book. Maybe warriors, rogues, druids, pallies, shammies, and hunters should be wondering why those clothies get a spell that costs no mana/rage/energy and does several hundred times more damage than a normal attack?

Those classes have autoattack supplementing their damage, usually substantially. Clothies are designed so that their attacks cannot supplement their spell damage. In return, they get the ability to kill things without attacking. Saying this is unfair to the casters...I dunno. It's different, and more mana-intensive, but if mages could (seriously) autoattack, no way blizz'd ever let them 2-shot things.

Useless Talents: We all have them. Don't take them. If there were a zillion amazing talents in every tree, we'd all freak out about not having enough talent points.

Spirit: I believe this stat is basically getting taken out of everything except priest and druid healing gear. Also seems like a logical time to re-work the entire spirit regen system, but that's just wishful thinking.

Healing Patterns: "Every one of them can either heal themselves or reduce the amount of healing done to their target. Except Mages" Uh...

First off, FA ftw.
Second off, healing and reducing healing are apples and oranges. Why not just say "Every class in the game can either melee or do shadow damage. Except Mages, and hunters, so we should get shadow damage!" It's just nonsensical...
Third: Was this complaint about ineffective silencing? I'm confused.

Inviso: As Vox said, it wipes agg, making it an expensive (yet working!) vanish. So there's a use for ya, raider-boy.

Co-efficient: Yes, it's fixed. Yay! I dunno why they hit mages with it to begin with, but yay!

Alts: Ugh. Try levelling an alt after your main has a travel form. Also--can't tell you the number of times I drowned on my first orc. Undead racials are ftw.

Tankadins: Jooooooiiiiiin us. I've never met a good player who doesn't love tankadins. That's gotta mean something.

Apologies for the post ALMOST as long as yours. I know you'll find it in your heart to forgive me. <3

Euripedes said...

This was a far from serious post anyways :P

Just stuff I find annoying.

Mana gems? Of course they're useful. I never said they weren't. It's just annoying. And why does it share a cooldown with the PvP Standards? Explain that one to me!

And Vox, according to Omen-tested-Invisibility, it doesnt permanently wipe aggro. It acts much like a paladin bubble, you get all the aggro back at the end of it.

"Second off, healing and reducing healing are apples and oranges."
Thank you.
I still find it annoying.

And we all know that a hunter's autoattack doesn't hit for more than 400 damage. Seriously, though, I do not see any possible way to work in a TRUE auto-attack function for the major casters. It's just annoying.

Hmm.... I wonder if I could stack attack power on my gear... What would I melee for?

These aren't complaints! Just things I find annoying!
/annoyed

Euripedes said...

EDIT:

Ok, Omen needed an update. Seriously. Invis drops threat by 10% every second for five seconds, then drops it all when Invis kicks in.
When Invis ends, that last 50% threat jumps right back, just like the Paladin bubble.
However, it's still a 50% reduction.

Hm... might have to reconsider this spell as to its uselessness. I actually might need to hotkey it, now that I'm specced raid fire.