Sunday, October 14, 2007

Blogging about WoW is orginial, yes?

Alright, so I've started a blog.
You may be wondering "Why? Why would this guy make a blog?" "It's not like anybody's going to read it" "Pfft, just some myspace style emo kid"

I'll tell you why. In fact, I'll explain everything, all story-like.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for just over a year now. I have dabbled with every class in the game, and quickly realized that my favorite class was the Mage.
For some reason, a fragile caster class that takes an immense amount of skill appealed to me.
Having come from Neverwinter Nights, where you could beat the entire game as long as you had a fighter and could click on enemies, a class that required a great deal of skill to play was a welcome change.

Any idiot can play a hunter, tell the pet to attack and hit autoshot.
Any moron can play a warlock, just by pressing three buttons.
But it takes true skill to play these classes well. A hunter taking on 4 mobs at once, of a higher level, that takes skill. A warlock doing the Dun Garok quests solo, at level 28 with no voidwalker just for kicks, that takes skill.

From very early on, it was obvious to me the mage was going to be more difficult to play than the other classes. I tried a warrior, and the first 15 levels were just spamming Heroic Strike.
But a mage, on the other hand... I had Frost nova, I had polymorph, I had AoE's... all these different abilities that would allow me to take on five or six mobs at once. The slightest screw-up, such as using frost nova prematurely, would result in my death seconds later.
No other class provided this adrenaline rush for me within the first couple days of playing.

So I stuck with the mage. I got Improved Blizzard. I grinded 15 pirate mobs at once in Tanaris. I was PoM + Pyro spec at 49, downing flag carriers in seconds in Warsong Gulch (and dying myself mere seconds later). I grinded the elite mobs near the Dark Portal to level me to 58. I solo'd those elite giant things in Hellfire, as deep fire.
In every one of those cases, if I messed up, I was looking at a lengthy corpse run. It took me a good 3 hours before I stopped dying in Tanaris. My Pom + Pyro spec left me as a glass cannon with no cannon for minutes at a time. I'd kill those elites by the Dark Portal, only to be killed by a random non-elite while drinking. I'd kill one of those giants, only to be killed by a 59 hellboar.

Now that I have played around with the other classes, Mage is still my favorite to play. Sure, I can effortlessly grind 5 mobs at once with my warlock, in fact, I usually laugh maniacally as I do. Playing a Beast Master hunter is flippin' awesome, I can seemlessly take down elite mobs 5 levels higher than me.
But... well, there's never any real risk for me. The "OH SHIT" moments are very few and very far between. And, frankly, I live for the "OH SHIT" moments. I like to play WoW in such a fashion that virtual death is only a global cooldown away.
That is also why, at the very tender level of 26, I discovered PvP. By 29, I LIVED for PvP. It took me a month to level from 39 to 40. I was at level 49 for over two months. Heck, I even delayed dinging 70 just so I could play at 69, arguably my favorite bracket (no honor grinders or clueless e-bay). I also instantly signed up for 3v3's and 2v2's at 70... and failed miserably at them. (More in this later!)

So that's me. That's my general story.

Now, as to this Blog, my reasoning is very simple. The official Mage forums are a harsh place, filled with senseless trolls and flamers. A young, eager mage could go there, and be so thoroughly crushed that he'd reroll a retribution paladin, because there's less QQ on that end.

The forum Mages are a whiny, bitchy group of people who thrive by destroying others, flaming opinions, and all out destroying anyone who says anything positive. Every patch is greeted with yelling, screaming, tears, and gnashing of keyboards.

So I created this blog, so I can rant and rave in public, and in peace.

No comments: